Thursday, May 20, 2010

Movie magic and memories

One of my greatest pleasures in life is watching movies. My earliest movie memory is of watching Jaws in the cinema and cowering behind my sweater. My late mother loved movies, especially the old Hollywood classics. I remember her sitting up late at night and catching re-runs of movies like The Prince and the Showgirl. She also had a huge crush on Rock Hudson and I sometimes wonder what she would have said if she had been alive when news broke that he was gay. It would have shattered her world.

Thanks to her influence, I know a lot more about old Hollywood movies and the people who acted in them than most of my peers. I'm still about the only one among my friends who'll watch musicals like South Pacific and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or knows who Troy Donahue is (I thought he was peachy keen when I was 12). Those old movies I watched back when I was a child continue to be magical. Partly because of their happy endings which spoke to me of hope and better things to come. But mostly because these were the same movies my mother had watched in her youth. Watching the same movies she had was my way to connect with a mother I lost much too early in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment